Fiction To Sink Your Teeth Into, a feature from author and professional chef Rohan O’Duill!
‘The dining hall was full of noisy conversations and the clanking of dishes. Students carried hot borscht in which floated white commas of sour cream.’ – Vita Nostra
This book has so many beautiful descriptions, I just had to create something from these pages.
• 1 tbsp of sunflower oil
• 1 large onion diced
• 2 carrots diced
• 4 cloves of garlic chopped
• 1 potato diced
• 3 medium-sized beetroots chopped
• ¼ a head of cabbage shredded
• 1 tsp of paprika
• 1 stock cube
• 4 cups of water
• 2 tbsp of tomato paste
• 1 tsp sugar
• 2 tsp vinegar
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp of sour cream
• Sauté the onion, carrots, garlic, potato and beetroot in the oil until they are golden in colour.
• Add in the cabbage, paprika, sugar, stock cube, water and vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
• Stir in the tomato puree and simmer for another 2 minutes. Season to your liking.
• Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top. Just don’t spill any on your copy of Vita Nostra—you will never get that stain out.
• I will require a commission on any gold coins that may be coughed up after this meal.